Easier said than done, am I right, mamas? It's a lovely thought and a goal that is constantly on my list of "things to do." A topic for another day...how do I permanently remove a "things to do" list from my life?!
The pressure to make a giant shift in your life, in any way, can be overwhelming. This is also the case regarding self care and putting yourself first. One step at a time, mamas! One week, one day, one hour at a time! Self care can be something as small as taking a shower or a bath. Even that task can be daunting some days. One of my favorite self care treats is painting my nails. I know it sounds silly but I honestly feel like my entire life is under control and doable when my nails are clean and pretty! I don't even have to go to a salon and get them done (though that is an awesome treat), just a cheap and easy at home spa :)
A couple mama care starters to get you going:
- Shower or take a bath. Throw in some essential oils for extra yumminess.
- Take 20 more seconds to walk around the car to the driver's seat after getting the kiddo settled in the back (for real, take 5 really deep breaths each time).
- Color! I'm telling you, your 8 year old self will thank you.
- Take yourself to dinner. Trust me.
- Put one of your favorite songs on blast (probs something Beyonce or Adele) and dance, hard.
- Call and catch up with an old friend.
- Say NO. It's hard but mamas don't have time to please everybody.
- Journal with a side of tea.
- Listen to a quick guided meditation (Insight Timer app) in the bathroom before kiddos pound the door down.
- Say YES to someone who has offered to watch your kiddo/kiddos a million times. Take them up on their offer!
- Cry it out.
Mama goal this week: Schedule 2 moments for self care. 2! Write it down, put it on your calendar. MAKE IT HAPPEN. Tell me how it goes. Tag @hellohappymama on Instagram!
You got this, mamas!